The official blog for Jason Evans (Actor, Blogger, Content Creator, Director, Designer, Dramaturg, Singer, Storyteller, Teaching Artist, Writer). Official Blog for my YouTube Channel: "Jason the Nice One."

Friday, February 22, 2019

Bohemian Rhapsody


I sat for over 2 1/2 hours in a darkened theater and was mesmerized by what I witnessed. Rami Malek gives such an incredible performance as the legendary Freddie Mercury, lead singer of the legendary rock band, Queen. This, albeit a cliff notes version, is the story of the beginnings of the band and their careers as musicians and as a group. I found this film to be heartwarming, moving, and heartbreaking all at the same time! Rami Malek is superb as Freddie and their isn't a weak link in the terrific ensemble, director Bryan Singer has assembled.

I will say to all the critics that have panned this film that I strongly disagree with them all and particularly with those who have condemned the film for "wasting their time" showing a re-creation of the now legendary "Live-Aid" performance, which I strongly loved and it moved me completely and wrapped up the film very nicely and beautifully, put us the audience directly on stage with Freddie and seeing him finally comfortable with who he was and his reunion with his "family"; also with those who feel the movie dodged Freddie Mercury's sexuality and disrespectfully treated it like it didn't exist, I say "You're wrong!" The one thing that Freddie Mercury avoided throughout his career was his sexuality. He didn't want to talk about it. It was nobody's business and irrelevant! He was a musician. I feel that that is and should be the focus of the film, his music. I feel that the film dealt very well with his homosexuality, particularly his own internal self-loathing and homophobia. The press conference scene was portrayed beautifully and really showed how we put too much emphasis on a person's sexuality instead of realizing that there is so much more to a person and their sexuality has nothing to do with their quality of character. This film dealt with Freddie's hidden longings to be accepted by his father and to live comfortably in his own skin. 

I highly recommend this film to everyone! From the "Live Aid" scene through the end credits, I sat and wept! I was completely moved!

No comments:

Post a Comment