The official blog for Jason Evans (Actor, Blogger, Content Creator, Director, Designer, Dramaturg, Singer, Storyteller, Teaching Artist, Writer). Official Blog for my YouTube Channel: "Jason the Nice One."

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Angels In America: Millennium Approaches


I have to say one thing before I begin. I am so grateful that I am part of the theatrical community. I get to be surrounded by such gifted and talented individuals and sometimes get the honor of sitting in an audience and experience those gifts and talents for myself. I am very proud of Taylor Jack Nelson and Kacey Spadafora for creating An Other Theatre Company in Provo, Utah. The work they are doing is groundbreaking and brave. They have already added to the Utah County theatrical landscape such honesty, beauty and great variety to that landscape and they haven't been open even an entire year. I look forward to the months and years to come to see what this little theater company will bring to this landscape!

Angels In America: Millennium Approaches is an extremely brave move on their part, particularly in Utah County and I am so grateful they took the risk and produced this beautiful, heartwarming and inspiring, Pulitzer Prize winning play to this particular community. It is so needed!

Kacey Spadafora's brilliant direction of this complex story was amazing to watch. It was simple and theatrical. It allowed us, the audience, to focus on the characters themselves and made me remember why I love live theater so much! Kacey's interpretation of Tony Kushner's masterpiece was truly original and kept the pacing of this 3 hours and 20 minutes play going rapidly and it never felt like 3 hours and 20 minutes. The ensemble cast worked well together and brought to their individual performances such grace, depth, and emotional honesty. I particularly loved the conclusion of the performance. I loved the originality of it and how it brought all of the stories together beautifully and made me excited to experience the second part.

Although the HBO mini-series event adaptation of Kushner's work was brilliantly done with an all-star cast of superb actors, it was nice to see this work done simply and in a wonderfully intimate theatrical manner.

Congratulations to the design team as well for a simple design concept that served the production well!

Trevor William Newsome (Prior), Noah Kershisnik (Louis), Bryce Lloyd Gueston (Joe), Haley Nebeker (Harper), Joel Applegate (Roy), Kim Abunuwara (Hannah), Michael Fletcher (Belize) and Caitlin Laurie Bell (Angel) all played multiple characters quite well and all brought honesty and depth to their performances. These are complex and difficult characters and everyone of these talented individuals did outstanding jobs and I felt for each and every character.

The rest of the run is sold out, but I highly suggest you get yourself on the waiting list and try to get a seat to this production! You won't regret it! Your life and perspective will be changed forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment