The official blog for Jason Evans (Actor, Blogger, Content Creator, Director, Designer, Dramaturg, Singer, Storyteller, Teaching Artist, Writer). Official Companion Blog for my YouTube Channel: "Jason the Nice One."

Sunday, October 21, 2018

A Star Is Born (2018)


I went into this film with an open mind being a fan of Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga's. I was not disappointed to say the least!

I was blown away by Lady Gaga's performance and Bradley Cooper broke my heart! But also, two surprises for me, two incredible supporting performances by Sam Elliott, who always delivers superb performances, but Andrew Dice Clay playing Lady Gaga's father? OMG! What an incredible performance!!!!!

Of course there is much criticism to be had about this one since it has been made three times prior: Barbara Streisand/Kris Kristofferson (1976), Judy Garland/James Mason (1954), and Janet Gaynor/Frederic March (1937). Each film was completely different in their own right. 

The one thing that stood out for me in this incarnation was the boldness of it! It held nothing back! I do agree that the mid-portion of the film could have used a few cuts for running time purposes, it did get a bit tedious in places, but overall, the film resonated with me, and I am totally in love with Lady Gaga as an actress. I knew she'd be good! The modern day aspect of physical beauty being so much a part of the showbiz industry, it helped that Lady Gaga, who has dealt with that issue most of her life, was cast in this part! I feel that Lady Gaga is absolutely beautiful and I adore her and this film made me love her in even more!

I highly recommend this film! It's timely and it really does show how fame can destroy someone so easily!

No comments:

Post a Comment