The official blog for Jason Evans (Actor, Blogger, Content Creator, Director, Designer, Dramaturg, Singer, Storyteller, Teaching Artist, Writer). Official Blog for my YouTube Channel: "Jason the Nice One."

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Halloween Watch List 2018 - The Birds


Every year, this tradition started when my mom was still alive, and we would dedicate the entire month of October each year to watching a scary movie each night. Mom loved a good scary movie.Last night I started that ritual again with Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece, "The Birds." This is probably one of his most underrated films. I have heard so many complaints from the "younger" generation stating that this is a stupid film, makes no sense, blah blah blah. My favorite criticism of this film is "You never find out why the birds start attacking." Really?! That is what makes this film a horror classic! That is what makes it so terrifying is the very fact that you DON'T find out why! In the age of M. Night Shyamalan and his "Why" endings, the art of "No Motive" and "No Concrete Answers" has died out almost completely. Don't get me wrong, I adore "The Sixth Sense," "Devil" and "Split," but why does every question need to be answered? Give me a break! Shymalan's "The Happening" is a perfect example of this. Great film up to the ending, which ruined the entire film for me. He explained why. PMEO!

This film is an incredible example of why Hitchcock was dubbed "The Master of Suspense." There isn't a relaxed moment in this film once Tippi Hedren's character of Melanie Daniels is attacked by the seagull. This film, like so many other Hitchcock masterpieces, completely turn you for a loop as an audience. You go into it expecting one thing and you get something completely different and unexpected.

What really makes this film for me is how excellent the writing is and the cinematography. But the real stars of this show are Tippi Hedren and Jessica Tandy. The developing relationship between these two characters are amazing and these incredible actresses’ performances will go down in motion picture history as two of the greatest performances ever! I sat last night in front of my laptop just riveted just like every other time I have watched this incredible film. I'm happy I chose to start my film fest this year with this gem! Do yourself a favor and watch this film with an open mind! You will be pleasantly surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment