The official blog for Jason Evans (Actor, Blogger, Content Creator, Director, Designer, Dramaturg, Singer, Storyteller, Teaching Artist, Writer). Official Blog for my YouTube Channel: "Jason the Nice One."

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Top 10 Musicals

Recently, I met a challenge on Facebook to name my Top 10 Musicals. I posted photos with no explanation just the photo. Well here they are with titles and an explanation for each one. These are in no particular order and I promise I will return to this soon and name my Top 10 Golden Age Musicals.

Bright Star

I had heard so much about this musical from friends that when it came on tour to Pioneer Theater Company with the original leading lady, Carmen Cusack, I had to go see it. I was blown away by her incredible performance in this Steve Martin/Edie Brickell musical! I was moved and uplifted by this incredible true story based on a newspaper article and my life was changed forever. Click here for my review of the production.

Memphis

I never got to see this live on Broadway, but when Fathom Events brought it to the big screen I took my mom to see it and was completely blown away by the incredible touching and heartbreaking story of love, prejudice, and the love of music. This story was about two vastly different people who fall in love over their love for music and who are eventually torn apart by the prejudices of the day but in the end are reunited briefly and the message of not allowing anyone to steal your dreams comes through loud and clear. An incredible piece of work!

Billy Elliot

I went to see this through Fathom Events on the big screen but unfortunately the local theater showing it had received an IMAX copy and were unable to screen it. I bought it through iTunes when it came out and fell in love with this musical adaptation of the wonderful British film of the same name. I loved the film and the screenwriter and Elton John teamed together to bring it to the musical theater stage with wonderful results! This particular performance that was captured live featured one of my all-time favorite British actresses, Ruthie Henshall in that famous Julie Walters role in the film of Mrs. Wilkinson the ballet teacher who encourages a young man to follow his dreams to be a dancer despite the horrible social uprising happening in his hometown and pressure from his very stubborn and prejudiced father and brother. Absolutely touching story that is enhanced by the incredible Elton John score.

Newsies

I have a love-hate relationship with Disney Theatricals and most people that know me well know that I only love 5 of their musicals: "Aida," "Beauty and the Beast," "Hunchback of Notre Dame," "The Lion King," and "Newsies."

I remember when the original film came out and how I fell in love with it but did have a few problems with it and it wasn't a huge box office hit, but became a cult classic when it came out on home video.

But when Disney Theatricals decided to green light adapting it for the Broadway stage, playwright, the wonderful Harvey Fierstein teamed with Alan Menken and Jack Feldman (Composer and Lyricist) to adapt this incredible story for the stage, I feel the show improved vastly and IMHO is better than the film all around.

This story touched me deeply and I fell resonates today with the new millennial generation. It calls them to action, to be the change in the world they want to see, and to let no one stand in their way of their dreams! That nothing is impossible if you believe in yourself and your friends and family around you!

Rent

I am not ashamed to call myself a "Rent Head!" When I first saw this live on stage at the Capitol Theater with the national tour I fell instantly in love with this incredible story! I was blow away by its simplicity. Its themes of tolerance, unconditional love and acceptance, survival, never giving up on your dreams are still relevant today! When they so wisely filmed it live on stage I quickly bought it on iTunes and watch it regularly! I love it more and more each time I watch it! This was my generation post college and I related it to so much. Thank you Jonathan Larson!

Sunday in the Park with George

I remember seeing this on Broadway after my senior year in high school. I personally feel that this is Sondheim's masterpiece! The story of love, art and how it connects generations was so moving to me and the performances by Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters blew me away! The entire ensemble was so incredible! This was so avant garde for its time and highly criticized by some, but I loved it and it will always hold a special place in my heart!

110 in the Shade

I had the great honor of being able to see Audra McDonald and Will Swenson perform this wonderful and incredible touching musical at the Hale Theater in Orem with my mother and was completely blown away by their performances. This is the musical adaptation of the beautiful play, "The Rainmaker." Audra McDonald's performance as the lonely spinster, Lizzie, broke my heart and I could so relate to her plight. I was completely drawn in by this story and it changed my life forever!

Dear Evan Hansen

Out of all of the contemporary musicals, this one hits very, VERY close to home. Almost TOO close! From the moment the incredible Ben Platt took the stage, I was in tears the entire show! We're talking Ugly Cry. I went through an entire box of Kleenex. NO KIDDING! Evan Hansen was me in school. I made up stories to get attention. I was the one everyone made fun of, and until I moved to Utah at age 16, my younger years in school were miserable. I feel from the very core of my being everything this show is about and expresses to its audience! This musical from the heart takes you by the throat and doesn't let up. It's not an easy show to sit through but it will definitely change you.

Next to Normal

Okay. This is another incredibly tough show to sit through but so well worth it. I relate as well to this story and understand depression very well and how it an affect an entire family. This wonderful musical really presents mental illness very well but at the same time respects the sufferer highly and brings to the stage all of the ugliness that comes with depression but does it with a whole lot of love. I was so blessed to be able to work on the UVU production of this incredible show as a costumer/dresser and each night sitting backstage listening to the incredible score and the several times I got to sit in the audience and view this wonderful production with incredible performances by dear friends and fellow UVU students is an experience I will never forget! Those performances touched me deeply and will follow me the rest of my life. This show will be forever part of my DNA!

Wicked

I am such a huge fan of this musical. It was the last Broadway production I took my mother too before she passed away and it was one of her favorites as well. I adore "The Wizard of Oz" and this take on the story was incredible! Stephen Schwartz's wonderful score and Winnie Holzman's incredible script left me in emotional tatters by shows end. I so related to Elphaba and her plight and this musical touched me deeply.

There you have it. I adore musical theater immensely and I have had so much fun watching countless wonderful musicals over the past 30 years but these stand out as ones that touched a chord within me and will forever be with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment