The official blog for Jason Evans (Actor, Blogger, Content Creator, Director, Designer, Dramaturg, Singer, Storyteller, Teaching Artist, Writer). Official Companion Blog for my YouTube Channel: "Jason the Nice One."

Monday, December 17, 2018

The Birdcage


I sat down and re-watched one of my all-time favorite comedies and Robin Williams film and laughed my ass off! I adore this film and it still holds up against the test of time. Even now with more freedoms including marriage for the LGBTQ community, this story is still relevant today. We still have anti-LGBTQ politicians in office and particularly, our Trans-Gendered family members are still facing so many challenges and life-threatening situations each and every day and we still as a community are facing challenges all over America and the world at large.

This wonderfully touching and funny film is based on the original French Film, "La Cage Aux Folles," which because a musical by Arthur Laurents, Harvey Fierstein and Jerry Herman back in the 80's which was groundbreaking, even for Broadway and I remember seeing it at the Palace theater after I graduated from high school on my very first trip to NYC. Robin Williams and Nathan Lane play a gay couple, Albert (Lane) and Armand (Williams) who's son has come home from college to tell them that he is getting married to the daughter of an ultra-conservative politician (Gene Hackman). The hilarity ensues when the in-laws come over to dinner!

I adore this film and despite the stereotypes, which are based in reality, it remains a true champion of our community and shows that we all want the same thing, love, family, acceptance and understanding. If you haven't seen this film, what is wrong with you? Get a copy, sit down, and prepare to laugh your ass off the way I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment